Why Choose to Get an Online Degree? The 7 Advantages of Online Learning
Probably perceived to be the best thing about online learning is that it is not bound by geographic and physical limitations.
People turn to online education for many reasons. To most, an online program supports their continuous education to advance their careers and expand their credentials. To others, it is getting quality education despite geographical or even physical constraints, as in the case of people with disabilities. For some, it is a viable solution to getting a degree while fulfilling family and work commitments or other personal endeavors.
Whatever their reason may be for pursuing an online degree, the strongest benefit of online education is that it opens doors for learners who are bound by time and commitments, physically, and by their geographic location. Now, learning is no longer limited and is a possibility for all.
One can probably identify with these reasons, but it will be worthwhile to understand what online learning is like and to know its benefits in making the decision.
The General Picture
Fully online degree programs must be viewed as an equal counterpart of regular, classroom-based degree programs, applying the same curricula, expecting the same course outcomes, and will most likely require the same amount of time. The main difference between these two types of programs is the format of delivery, which is fully online.
The instruction is asynchronous for the most part and instructors are met on a consultation basis.
An online program involves accessing recorded lectures, presentations and readings, accomplishing coursework, participating in discussion boards, submitting assignments and papers, and taking online assessments.
The advantage of this learning format is that it allows you the flexibility to accomplish all of this, at your own pace, time, and location.
The benefits of taking a fully online degree program
- Ubiquitous learning. Self-learning materials such as recorded lectures, references, modules, and assessments are accessible online regardless of time and location in an online setup.
- Self-paced learning. Online programs promote self-paced learning. You can visit materials at a time that doesn't interfere with other commitments, work, and life. It also helps you reach your desired learning outcomes, as through your own pacing, you can focus on things that you find difficult and challenging and breeze through topics that you have already mastered. This saves your time and promotes a greater learning efficiency.
- Time flexibility and academic freedom. By taking your degree online, you can learn on your own schedule and accomplish coursework suitable to your availability. For some, online programs provide the opportunity to learn while still working and growing professionally.
This benefit is ideal if you are currently employed but want to attain a new degree or continue your education. At an age when professional growth is highly pursued, online programs will help you gain new skills to boost your career, building your competitive edge in the ever-changing job market.
- Reduced cost. Online education can cost less, as it eliminates miscellaneous fees and other study-associated costs – transport, fuel, board and lodging, etc. It does not require your physical presence in the campus while being trained in a manner and quality that is similar to the on-campus counterpart.
This makes an online degree program ideal if you live outside the region of your dream institution, or if you are residing in a different country but want to gain a degree from a foreign university. You can study in your hometown and in the comfort of your own home, which also means less school-related cost.
- Acquire New Skills. Students get to acquire skills that are exercised in an online learning environment such as time management, self-motivation, virtual communication, and digital technology skills.
- Student support. Student services are still available to guide you in your academic and student life. Learners are assisted with career and academic advising, course scheduling, technical support, career placement, and other student concerns. Thanks to technology, there are still opportunities for meaningful interactions between student and teacher that may be done by phone, e-mail, Zoom, or online chat sessions. If you decide to take Mapúa fully online degrees, dedicated support for the duration of your stay is provided though life coaches.
- A Mapúa online education
A leader in transforming traditional setups in Philippine education, Mapúa University has long passed the boundaries in knowledge sharing with its already established online academic platform, Mapúa Digital Academics (MDA), powered by its learning management system Cardinal EDGE or Education in a Digital and Global Environment. It has invested in online tools and resources for education way ahead to deliver blended learning, a combination of both synchronous and asynchronous modes, to its students, reaching more learners from the different islands of the country and abroad. This bridges the gap that separates student and professional learners from their dream college degrees.
Mapúa currently offers six Commission on Higher Education (CHED)-approved fully online bachelor’s degree programs in engineering and information technology and eight fully online master’s degree programs.
With Mapúa’s reputable engineering and technological education, earning a degree from the QS Asia top university can be an advantage to one’s academic and professional growth.
Learn more about Mapúa University’s fully online bachelor’s and master’s degree program offerings at https://www.mapua.edu.ph/DigitalAcademics/.